Thursday, August 12, 2010

Kasey's BLT vs Boris' BLT



What is better than a BLT sandwich? Not much. Even a crappy diner BLT is pretty good. You can't really screw up bacon, lettuce, and tomato. It's amazing how great these three things taste together, especially between two slices of bread.
I can make a pretty good BLT (at least my wife thinks so), but I've heard there's a place in New York that does an AMAZING BLT: Choice Market. I thought I'd do a little comparison...

Kasey's BLT

Bacon:
I've started cooking bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven, instead of in a frying pan. It makes the bacon flatter and easier to pile onto a sandwich.
Bread:
I use thick white bread. And it HAS to be toasted. I can't imagine eating a BLT on non-toasted bread. That would be weird.
Lettuce:
I'm not too picky. Iceberg lettuce is good.
Tomato:
Large, not-too-ripe tomatoes. And I try my best to get the seeds out of them (sometimes those wet seed can make the sandwich a bit soggy, although sometimes the moisture is a good thing). I prefer to slice them pretty thinly as well.
Dressing:
Normal Mayo


Bacon:
He cooks his in the oven as well.
Bread:
A really good wheat artisan bread. Very high quality.
Lettuce:
It looks like he uses plain Leaf Lettuce.
Tomato:
Big tomatoes, thinly sliced.
Dressing:
Here's the kicker: homemade Rosemarie mayonnaise.

Okay, so there's really no comparison. Boris' BLT is most-definitely better, but it's nice to know that even cooking amateurs can put together a delicious sandwich every once and a while. :)

1 comment:

Dave said...

For a nice twist, try spinach instead of lettuce.